[pfSense] verizon uml290 reliability
Vick Khera
2014-09-15 15:21:19 UTC
A while back I asked about using a 4G modem with pfsense, and the
UML290 bubbled to the top of the list as most likely to work.

My experience with it has been spotty. It seems that about every 3-4
days, it will just stop talking to the network. At the same time, it
will still respond to "AT" commands but otherwise be totally unable to
complete the PPP dialog. Only way out of this state is power-cycle the
modem.

I have heard one person tell me this is "normal" for the UML290. How
has it been for other people? The VZ forums are full of people who
have no clue about pretty much anything complicated, so I had no luck
there.

Also, in case anyone is looking for a really awesome 4G<->ethernet
bridge device, check out this one:
http://shop.proxicast.com/shopping/proxicast-pocketport-2-pocket-sized-3g-4g-lte-usb-cellular-modem-bridge-mini-router.html

I have been using it with my modem and it makes for easier failover
configurations on pfSense. I originally bought it to try to fix the
3-day and dead problem, but it did not... at least I don't have to
power cycle pfsense to fix it, because unplugging and re-plugging the
modem would lock up pfsense.
Oliver Hansen
2014-09-17 03:36:00 UTC
I had similarly unreliable connections from the UML290 but in my case the
Verizon signal was poor in that area.

I had some luck at one point running a program on the modem from a PC that
forced it to only use 4G as it seemed to have more problems when switching
from 3G to 4G and back. That was the only area I've used it more than 24
hours at a time though so I can't comment on continued performance in an
area with good signal.

I was able to unplug and plug in the modem without pfsense locking up but
that didn't fix the problem where a reboot would. Temporarily.